Here we go again! Another salsa making web page. (I'm retired, and I get bored, so this is at least something for me to do.)
This year we started on September 1st. Elaine, Russell, and I drove to the lower Yakima Valley to get the ingredients.Our first stop was at Benedicto's Farm on Later A, which is near Wapato. There we picked the three kinds of peppers we use,ie green bells, Christie Sweets, and jalapinos. We bought a bunch of garlic too.
We thought about growing our own ingredients, but we can drive 15 miles and get all we need without the trouble of growing at home.
The next stop was at Bagadan's Produce stand where we got 12 boxes of tomatoes. Eight Romas and four Beefsteak.
Elaine had already bought a 50 lb. sack of onions, and we bought the cilantro as we were making the salsa.
Lateral A heading south from Hwy.97.
Benedicto's produce stand.
Pepper field at Beneticto's.
Russell and Elaine hunting peppers.
Hard working farm hands. I'm not being sarcastic. They do work hard in the hot weather.
Inside Benedicto's produce stand.
The supply of tomatoes. We had to go get two more boxes.
Peeled tomatoes ready to cook.
The machine we used to chop up the onions,peppers, and garlic.
A pot of salsa cooking before being processed. We can them like you'd do any vegetable.
Wayne and Elaine peeling and chopping the tomatoes.
This is the hardest part of the process. The tomatoes are still hot from their water bath.
Some of the cooking pots.
Tomatoes in the sink in hot water.
Peppers and onions ready for the blender.
Some of the cilantro we used.
Somehow I inherited the job of cleaning the cilantro, onions, and garlic.
Our helpers: Wayne and Lauren.
Mr. Wayne Kostelecky.
Lauren and Wayne again.
Elaine and Lauren. (Someone else in the back ground.)
That's about all there is. We ended up with 185 jars of salsa.
I don't really remember when we started the project, but we found a jar lid with the year 2003 written on it. I think we started before that though.
Anyway, another year, and another batch of salsa.
We had lots of tomatoes left over, and we didn't want to just throw them away. So yesterday, September 7th. we made 12 quarts of juice, and today we made 6 quarts of just canned tomaters.